Black Friday

It's living up to it's name. So far here in the "Excited States of Hysteria" (a term I first heard today, in an unrelated blog comment from a native Canadian) the shopping death toll stands at three. What can I say? What can anyone say to a nation of people who trade their lives for baubles?

"Then Jesus told his disciples, 'If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. For what will it profit a man, if he gains the whole world and forfeits his life? Or what shall a man give in return for his life? For the Son of man is to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay every man for what he has done.'" Matthew 16:24-27

The only thing worth trading our life for is Christ. Everything else, is baubles.

Comments

Ashley said…
The only place I would go on Black Friday would be Joann's. But I love fabric and sewing. Still, I think I could only do it again in a couple of years. :-)
But I don't understand standing in a line to get into Walmart. Though I suppose some people love Walmart the way I love Joann's. But to me it seems odd. :)
Ancoti said…
I grew up not far from that Wal-Mart in NY. It is unbelievable that this happened, and what the behavior was as and after it happened, making the tragedy even worse. To lose one's life for something as silly as an early morning sale, my heart goes out to his family.

I never go out during this shopping time, and I never intend to.

Popular posts from this blog

in which I discuss the unthinkable

I forgave you a long time ago...

"It is finished!" ...and I am free...