A day off

Paul and I both had the day off from work. I made waffles for breakfast, using my new mixer for the first time. Strangely enough, they tasted markedly better than when I made them with the hand mixer. I'm not sure why this is the case. I think the texture was much improved. Paul commented on it as well, so I know it's not just my imagination.


So, after lollygagging around a while longer, we headed out to get a Christmas tree. I decided to get a much smaller tree this year and am very happy with that outcome. Last year's was an 8 ft. bushy monstrosity that we couldn't keep the cats out of, and that took a huge bite out of our already limited floorspace. For this one I didn't even have to rearrange the furniture. Tomorrow we'll set about decorating it.

After that adventure we headed off to buy some books to put on-line. Then it was time to take my mom to a doctor appointment. This month is going to be full of those. For some reason all her check-ups and lab tests backed up into December. In addition to that, she broke a tooth over the weekend and will need to see an oral surgeon to remove the root and the tooth next to it, which the dentist says is about to fall apart, too. All I can say is, getting old 'aint for wimps!

Sometime this month I'm determined to bake Christmas cookies. The kitchen's paint job may have to wait. We'll see.

Heres's the tree. It looks much bigger when I stand next to it than when Paul does. I'll post another picture once we get it decorated.




Comments

Ancoti said…
That is the big problem I have with being retired; it lessens the joy of a day off.
The Scotts said…
So please tell me how to get to your book store on line. Cute tree!
Keven said…
I may send Keven over to visit your tree. He likes Silver Tips since in his family that is the ONLY kind of tree they ever had. There just wasn't that much consistency in my childhood I guess. For the first I-don't-know-how-many-years of our marraige we had the bushy tree vs. non-bushy tree debate. The compromise? When we go cut one they all have nicely spaced branches and when we buy it in town it's bushy. I knew you'd love your mixer. Maybe I should get your waffle recipe.
Unknown said…
Hey Laurie, I was logged in to Keven's Google account. Sorry about that!
Laurie M. said…
I guessed it was you, Angela. I had no idea Keven spells his name that way, though. I'd love to give you my waffle recipe. I don't know how it compares to others, but I like it better than Betty Crocker's.

I only ever had fake trees growing up. I'm still scarred:-) Not really, but I'm determined to have real ones all my adult life, if I can.

Popular posts from this blog

in which I discuss the unthinkable

I forgave you a long time ago...

"It is finished!" ...and I am free...