A cause for rejoicing...

There is a great deal to celebrate this day, a great barrier has been surmounted. There are great struggles ahead, great wrongs still to be righted, and more human lives to protect from tragic injustices; but for now I will rejoice with those who are rejoicing, and hope with those who are hopeful - with African-American parents, children, and grandparents who may now, for the first time ever feel simply like Americans.

I, Too, Sing America by Langston Hughes


I, too, sing America.

I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.

Tomorrow,
I'll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Eat in the kitchen,"
Then.

Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed--

I, too, am America.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

in which I discuss the unthinkable

I forgave you a long time ago...

"It is finished!" ...and I am free...