Something solid to build your life on...

"God's love is based on nothing, and the fact that it is based on nothing makes us secure. Were it based on anything we do, and that "anything" were to collapse, then God's love would crumble as well. But with the God of Jesus no such thing can possibly happen. People who realize this can live freely and to the full. Remember Atlas, who carries the whole world? We have Christian Atlases who mistakenly carry the burden of trying to deserve God's love. Even the mere watching of this lifestyle is depressing. I'd like to say to Atlas: "Put that globe down and dance on it. That's why God made it." And to these weary Christian Atlases: "Lay down your load and build your life on God's love." We don't have to earn this love; neither do we have to support it. It is a free gift. Jesus calls out: "Come to Me, all you Atlases who are weary and find life burdensome, and I will refresh you."
(From The Lion and the Lamb, by Brennan Manning)

Those who are in Christ have become partakers in the very love the Father has had for the Son for all eternity. If you are in Christ, rest in that love - no clawing and grasping can keep you there. Nothing - no sin, no mis-step, no, nothing can snatch you out of His hand; believe that and find your rest there.

(Thank you, Deb, for that beautiful & timely quote!)

Comments

Ancoti said…
Christian Altases, how appropriate description of what we try to do so often.
Either that or I am a Sisyphus, rolling a rock up a hill but never quite making it to the top before it rolls back down to the bottom.
Laurie M. said…
Can I call you "Sisy" for short?!
Debbie Petras said…
I've read some of Brennan Manning's books and they are good. I'm so thankful that I can simply accept God's love. Nothing I attempt to do or don't do will change that and I'm so very grateful. I'm so glad I can't earn it so I joyfully receive.

Popular posts from this blog

in which I discuss the unthinkable

I forgave you a long time ago...

"It is finished!" ...and I am free...