Monday Meanderings

Just for Laughs - one of the funniest bits I've ever seen.

________________________________

You'd have to be blind or else very thick not to notice that a lot of reading of the Puritans goes on around here. The Puritans get a lot of bad press in the world at large - only a small fraction of which is justified. Criticisms of legalism, or what I consider an over-emphasis on self-examination, for instance, are in my opinion sometimes justified. I also tend not to care much for the political tone of the American Puritans, and the jeremiad philosophy with which they were inclined to view the New World. But what seems to be the most pervasive misconception is that the Puritans were, well, "puritanical" in their views of sex. Now, compared to modern views of sex, that is not off the mark. But what is not understood is that in their times, their views of sex would have been considered quite liberal. Check out Tim Challies brief article on the subject here.

___________________________________

Many of the great hymns of church history were written by men and women of some renown. Read here for the story behind this wonderful hymn, for a heartwarming perspective for the everyday Christian.

Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father;
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not;
As Thou hast been, Thou forever will be.

Refrain

Great is Thy faithfulness!
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

Summer and winter and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.

Refrain

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

Refrain

(Thanks to John for this link.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

in which I discuss the unthinkable

I forgave you a long time ago...

"It is finished!" ...and I am free...