Charity and Its Fruits - announcement

I apologize for the dearth of posts this week. It's been a busy week at work and home; and my free time has been consumed by preparations for our church's upcoming ladies' study of Jonathan Edwards, Charity and It's Fruits. Which brings me to the point of this brief notice:

Our class here in Chico will begin meeting at Pastor Pat and Andi's house on Monday, Oct. 12 at 6:30 pm. If you do not have a copy of the book already, you can pick one up then. The first meeting will be introductory and we will begin our readings in the week that follows.

Now, a few of my blog friends have expressed an interest in reading along with our study; and so I would like to extend the invitation to anyone else who might be interested. If you'd like to participate, just obtain a copy of the book. I will be using the Banner of Truth Edition (pictured), but you should have little trouble following along from any other edition. The actual reading will not begin until the twelfth, so that should give you time to acquire a copy. We will not be racing through, but taking a half-chapter a week at most. There's a lot to chew on, and mom's are busy people, so we'll take it as slowly as we need to. My plan is to blog weekly, at the end of each reading. Discussion is not only welcomed, but encouraged.

I'm looking forward with great anticipation to this study, and to seeing the fruit of it in my own life and in the life of the church.

Comments

Lisa notes... said…
Thanks, Laurie! I'm really excited about this study and glad to hear about the slow pace you're going to set. I know you will be a blessing and an encouragement to us.
Laurie M. said…
I'm looking forward to it, Lisa. And I'm looking forward to the blessing and encouragement from you. I'll be teaching myself here. I took this subject because of its importance, but also because of my acute awareness of my need to grow in love - more than any other thing.
Jeri Tanner said…
I'm tempted to join in but horrified of commitments. Is there any hope for me?

Seriously I will consider this...it would be fun to read and learn along with you.

By the way, the book that I made such a big deal about reading with our ladies' group...I've quietly laid it aside. Turned out to be problematic in places. I hope I'm never so careless again.
Laurie M. said…
Jeri,
Sorry to hear that about your book study. Even Edwards and I don't see eye to eye on all points, but I don't think the areas where we differ detract from the overall message, so I'm prepared to wade through questions some may have (for instance as regards his cessationist viewpoint, with which I agree, but very guardedly. But I think even someone who totally disagrees can learn from him anyway, and so greatly benefit from his overall message.) Well, I've said alot. I'd encourage you to read along and comment when you can, and if you can't keep up don't worry about it. I'm hoping to figure out a way to present the notes here in a way that would benefit anyone.)

Ginger,
I'm looking forward to it too. It's exciting to have such enthusiastic participants. I'm sure it will make for uplifting, challenging, and interesting discussion.

Popular posts from this blog

in which I discuss the unthinkable

I forgave you a long time ago...

"It is finished!" ...and I am free...