Saturday, November 7, 2009

Saturday Science


Hot! Hot! Hot! How Much Heat Can You Take?

If you're reading this now, it means you've survived another summer. Here in Chico, that's always something to feel grateful for, even though at times we seem to take a perverse pride in our hot summers and our ability to weather them. Paul and I managed this last one without air conditioning in our car. How did we stand it? Well...here's how.
________________________________________________

The science of Fall.


Why do the leaves fall off the trees?
__________________________________________________

The Heavens Declare the Glory of God...

Cone Nebula (NGC 2264): Star-Forming Pillar of Gas and Dust
Source: Hubblesite.org

To see more beautiful images from the Hubble spacecraft, you may view the entire gallery  here.
________________________________________________

And now, Mars!





View more martian landscapes here.  The variety is astonishing.
(HT to Noelle Piper)

3 comments:

WhiteStone said...

Oh, my! I almost had heat stroke just Watching that video! I can't even imagine what a room at 240 would feel like!

Laurie M. said...

A bit like an oven I would imagine. It's almost unbelievable, but I know when I get in my hot car in the summer I break out almost instantly in heavy sweat and it really does become tolerable. Of course I don't know how hot it actually gets in my car.

Lynn Cross said...

Beautiful! Lynn