Monday, May 10, 2010

Monday Meanderings - growing from the giftedness of others

Since I've not had much to offer from my own heart recently, I thought this Monday I'd do something I don't often do - refer you to other blogs. Over the last few months I've come across a few that are so edifying and/or interesting that they even make me wonder why anyone would waste their time reading here when they could be there. So, I thought I'd give you all that opportunity today.  It's been many years since I home-schooled my children; now they are grown. So I have little interest in sites that cater to home-school moms. Yet each of these blogs is written by a home-school mom and each, in my opinion, is rich and well rounded enough to be enjoyed by any reader, male or female, home-schooler or not, Christian or non-Christian.

thatmom:  Karen C. is home-school mom of over three decades, since well before home-schooling was "cool", Karen is full of wisdom in doctrine and practice. Long years in fundamentalist home-school circles and lots of research have also made her an expert in many of its various movements and sub-cultures. I highly recommend her free podcasts as well as her reviews of popular books geared to Christian women.

Scita>Scienda:  Clever, insightful, funny, discerning...creative.  Canadian C.L. Dyck is a creative writer and a sharp thinker. Written from a non-reformed yet sensible biblical perspective, her blog is a mix of a variety of writing ventures, fiction, non-fiction, and Christian topics. Her friends and commenters come from all over the theological map and are all greeted with respect and good humor.

Now...Through A Glass Darkly:  Karen B, well, what can I say but that her writing moves me deeply. I've little doubt you will feel the same.

________________________________

Beauty in Humble Packages



 _______________________________

From public lavatory to private bungalow: check this out!

________________________________

Finally, whatever you do, don't miss this story. Really. It will break your heart and inspire you. And be sure to watch the little video clip as well.

6 comments:

C.L. Dyck said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Laurie! :~)

I really enjoy the two Karens as well.

Angela said...

Thanks for the links. I looked around a bit and they look great. I especially liked Scita>Scienda. The homeschooling blogs I love the most aren't homeschooling blogs at all. They are moms living life, learning alongside their children and enjoying it. And, many times, they aren't Christians. My aversion to blogs, or people for that matter, who equate homeshooling with righteousness keeps growing. Thanks again for the links.

Laurie M. said...

I'm right there with you, Angela. We cannot find our meaning in life in our "roles" (I really detest that word. Roles are for actors.)or our tasks. Our meaning and value come from Christ - if we seek it anywhere else, we've become idolaters. I don't need a certain lifestyle, or a new sub-culture. I need Jesus! Only His righteousness can save me.

thenface2face said...

What a happy spike in my stats I saw when I logged on this morning to post a new series--and then I saw your link. Thanks so much!

I would demur on the homeschooling label for my blog, as I am a fitful writer about that subject, and would hardly claim to speak as an authority. It was the outrage of the Pearls, and my own experience of that subject, that spurred me to write.
Homeschooling has become such a part of my life these past twenty years that it is about as interesting for me to write about as the meals I prepare. I don't think I have anything new to say about either, although I love to do both.

I am experimenting with literary forms in order, as one writer said, to "go under the radar, to where the knowledge of God exists." I write Indifferent Poetry, Parables, some Satire, and now with the launch of this new series, "The Insomniac's Progress", Comic Allegory. I hope that some of the "evangelistic grace" one commenter spotted in me early on will be rubbing off onto this endeavour. It is very different for me to do, and has invigorated my writing.

I am taking these thirty days of five-hour nights, and having some sweet revenge! So blessings to you, and may you enjoy a similar fresh enthusiasm in your writing.

Karen Butler

thenface2face said...

What a happy spike in my stats I saw when I logged on this morning to post a new series--and then I saw your link. Thanks so much!

I would demur on the homeschooling label for my blog, as I am a fitful writer about that subject, and would hardly claim to speak as an authority. It was the outrage of the Pearls, and my own experience of that subject, that spurred me to write.
Homeschooling has become such a part of my life these past twenty years that it is about as interesting for me to write about as the meals I prepare. I don't think I have anything new to say about either, although I love to do both.

I am experimenting with literary forms in order, as one writer said, to "go under the radar, to where the knowledge of God exists." I write Indifferent Poetry, Parables, some Satire, and now with the launch of this new series, "The Insomniac's Progress", Comic Allegory. I hope that some of the "evangelistic grace" one commenter spotted in me early on will be rubbing off onto this endeavour. It is very different for me to do, and has invigorated my writing.

I am taking these thirty days of five-hour nights, and having some sweet revenge! So blessings to you, and may you enjoy a similar fresh enthusiasm in your writing.

Karen Butler

C.L. Dyck said...

Angela, thanks for popping by Scienda! I find that very cool.

"The Insomniac's Progress"

Oh perfect, Karen! I'm not sure if I'm up to thirty days, but I'll join you in a toast to short nights, lots of writing, and literary forms. :~)

~Cat