When Jesus Calls

I’m individualistic by nature. (Aren’t we all?) Even now, after years of being a Christian, the word “submission” can make me squirm just a little. I don’t especially enjoy being under authority. I still want to do what I want to do. 

In part, I’m a product of my culture. Let’s face it, submission is not what made America a nation. Though we have “authorities,” we don’t feel particularly beholden to obey them. After all, we elected them, right? They answer to us, which we take to mean that we are the authorities. Don’t tread on us.

This mindset permeates every corner of our lives, even as Christians. We like to think we choose God, when in fact it is He who chooses us (Jn 15:16, Eph. 1:4). We are very good at deluding ourselves into thinking we are submitting to Christ by re-imagining Him as someone who supports our interests, a God who backs our agenda. Or maybe that’s just me.

But perhaps it’s not a distinctly American trait, and perhaps it’s not just me. Peter had big plans for Jesus, big political plans. He expected Jesus to overthrow the rule of the heathen Romans and make Israel great again. So when Jesus told His disciples that He planned to suffer, be rejected, and die, Peter rebuked Him. Jesus’ reply to Peter’s rebuke should come as a shock to us all:

“Get behind me, Satan! For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man” (Mk. 8:33).

Jesus called Peter “Satan.” Let that sink in.

Peter’s mind was on “the things of man.” He wanted what we all want: influence, strength, prosperity, comfort, and freedom from the rule of an oppressive government. But Jesus called those priorities satanic.

Christ is calling us to recognize our worldly dreams for what they are and to set our minds on “the things of God.” He is calling us to submit our desires to His, and respond to His gospel call: 

“If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it. For  what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?  For what can a man give in return for his soul?” (Mk. 8:34-37)

Jesus makes it clear, our response is a matter or life or death. And yet, I’ll admit it, even today I still want to do what I want. I still love my stuff a little too much. I’m not eager to kiss any of it goodbye. 

So the question remains, what do I want more? My Savior? Am I willing to give up the life I’ve loved in exchange for the kind of life He lived? Will I leave it behind at His call? Will I take up my cross and follow Him? 

Will you?


This article was originally published here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

in which I discuss the unthinkable

I forgave you a long time ago...

"It is finished!" ...and I am free...