A dose of Luther's courage

"You ask me what I shall do if I am called by the emperor. I will go even if I am too sick to stand on my feet. If Caesar calls me, God calls me. If violence is used, as well it may be, I commend my cause to God. He lives and reigns who saved the three youths from the fiery furnace of the king of Babylon, and if He will not save me, my head is worth nothing compared with Christ. This is no time to think of safety. I must take care that the gospel is not brought into contempt by our fear to confess and seal our teaching with our blood." -Martin Luther
I like to hope I would face the threat of a horrific death with the courage Martin Luther did back in his day. But for today I will gratefully settle for the courage to go and do my daily work with joy and a thankful heart.

"One who is faithful in a very little is also faithful in much, and one who is dishonest in a very little is also dishonest in much." (Luke 16:10)

Comments

Ancoti said…
Luther lived in hard times. We do not know what we face as we move ahead.

Being at peace with God is all I can ask for. Then I live it to Him.
Jeri Tanner said…
Excellent point. We do need courage to do what God has given our hand to do.
Ron said…
God gives grace for the trials He leads us through. I never thought I would be able to go through what I've gone through in periods in my life, either, but as I look back I can see the strength of the Lord sustaining me through the difficult time.
Ev said…
Great post. I think that it is as we are faithful in the "smaller" things, we are prepared to be faithful as the more difficult times come.

There was a story from Corrie Ten Boom that her father told her that just as he would not give her her train ticket until she was ready to ride the train, so God does not give us the ability to face persecutions and horrific death until the time comes for us to face them. That story has always comforted me.

Ev
http://athoughtfortoday-ev.blogspot.com/

Popular posts from this blog

in which I discuss the unthinkable

I forgave you a long time ago...

"It is finished!" ...and I am free...