Reflections from Mothers' Day

Yesterday, for Mother's Day, we did what we do every Sunday. We went to church. We came home and I made lunch for my husband and 18 year old son. Then we brought my mother a restaurant lunch, just like we do every Sunday; and my 20 year old daughter came with us. We did not bring anything special. My mom throws away cards immediately after looking at them and doesn't like plants or flowers or chocolates, just Mountain Dew and visits - which is what we did bring. When we left her place, Gina took Paul and I to B&R for ice cream for my Mothers' Day treat, which was a pleasant surprise. When we got home later I found a card and a PayDay bar from Tony and his girlfriend. This, too, was a pleasant surprise. Over the years I've learned to expect nothing from Mothers' Day. It's been many, many years since I was married to the father of my children, who is traditionally the one whose job it is to make sure Mothers' Day is special while the children are small. It's also been many years since my children were in school or programs in which making Mothers' Day crafts is part of the curriculum. And, so, I've learned to let it be whatever it turns out to be. It is, after all, just another day.
Yesterday, however, on the way to get ice cream, I got to thinking about my children, and how glad I am that (for the most part) they treat me with respect and are tenderhearted toward me, and even (for the most part) with each other. 365 days a year of love and respect for me and each other means far more to me than one day of special treatment. I'm no fool. I know it's a heck of a lot easier to put on a big deal once in a while than to be day in and day out loving, respectful, and reliable. I also know which behavior is representative of true, heartfelt love. Then I thought of my mother, of how hollow my Mothers' Day well wishes would be to her if for the rest of the year I neglected her and was unkind and disrespectful, which (for the most part) I am not. How empty it would be for me to neglect her all year and then show up on that day which society had imposed with a great spray of flowers and gifts and a flourish, to wish her well and say I love her. What good is that kind of love. Our love for someone is spoken in loud words, written in large letters, in the things we do and say every day. And so I don't feel robbed on Mothers' Day if it's not much different than every day.
So in the parking lot of an ice cream shop my mind turned to Hosea 6:6:
"For I desire steadfast love and not sacrifice, the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings."
And Isaiah 58:4a, 6-7:
"Behold, you fast only to quarrel and fight and to hit with a wicked fist.Fasting like yours this day will not make your voice to be heard on high...
Is not this the fast this I choose: to loose the bonds of wickedness,to undo the straps of the yoke, to let the oppressed go free,and to break every yoke?Is it not to share your bread with the hungry, and bring the homeless poor into your house;when you see the naked, to cover him,and not to hide yourself from your own flesh?"
I felt as though I was given a peek into the heart of God. He is not interested in our shows. He wants us to love Him and our brethren from the heart. It is offensive to him when we offer him outward displays for the world to see, when in our hearts there is no true devotion or love. He is not fooled when we show up on, Easter and Christmas, feast days and sabbaths, but show him no honor or tender love for the rest of the year. When we bite and devour, hate and suspect our brothers and sisters in Christ, whom He purchased with His own blood, and make outward demonstrations of love toward Him, He is not impressed. He sees the truth. He knows how we really are. In truth if our "relationship" with God is charactarized by outward displays of devotion, but private disregard of him and the brethren we have reason to fear. "By this it is evident who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil; : whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is the one who does not love his brother." 1 John 3:10
The heart of a child of God is inclined to daily love and faithfulness which displays itself in private devotion and heartfelt love for, and commitment to, the brethren. The heart of a child of God recognizes its own unworthiness and truly understands what an undeserved act of grace it was and is that he is now called a child of God. The heart of a child of God feels compassion for other sinners, and recognizes that His brothers and sisters in God were likewise chosen, not for their own merits, but by the sovereign will of God - that Christ shed His blood for them - that they are precious to the heart of their dearly beloved Father. That is why the child of God loves not only God, but His children.
"But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law." Gal. 5:18-24

What mother would not be filled with satisfaction in a child who displayed such fruit? And so is our Father in heaven pleased.


Comments

rainydaytoys said…
Those little everyday (Mother's Day) gifts are the best. Just to hear the voice of you child and know they are ok is such a blessing.
Karin said…
My sister and I spent the day with our aged mother. Sister lives far away and I'm the regular caregiver. Mom was happy of course to have us there, but her joy was only complete when our brother called in the late afternoon to speak with her. That reminded me of our Lord's love. God will leave the 99 and go after that 1. Not that our brother was lost - he is a godly man - but to me it showed that picture of God's love again. It is wonderful when we get spiritual messages from our day to day circumstances. Thanks for your post!
Laurie M. said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laurie M. said…
Karin,
My mother is the same way with my brother (who actually only does call once or twice a year). As a mother I understand how she feels, and have many times felt the same way. Of course in my mind the analogy didn't speak to prodigals, but hypocrisy and legalism. I hope the that wasn't confusing.
Unknown said…
Laurie,
That was a great post. I just read this quote: "Three hundred small pleasures make people happier than one magnificent one." Gifts are nice (escpecially books or Payday bars!) but for me, it is always time that I appreciate. Ice cream is just ice cream unless your daughter takes you and enjoys it with you. That's such a blessing. I'm glad you had a good day.
Andi said…
Great post. Somehow you manage to say, very eloquently, the things that I think but can't put into words. Thanks!
Anonymous said…
Very well said!!!
Anonymous said…
This is but the third year we've seen Mother's Day being 'done' around us. In India, it is still a celebration being introduced by commercial people for commercial gains and is not a traditional thing. Here in New Zealand, it is observed. At church our children were asked about what they did for Mother's Day. So after coming home Lydia drew a picture for me on the computer of two female people and many hearts.
Yes, obedience is better than sacrifice. And again, if you love Me keep my commandments.

Popular posts from this blog

in which I discuss the unthinkable

I forgave you a long time ago...

"It is finished!" ...and I am free...